I woke this morning with Jesus words on my mind.
“Very truly I tell you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you have no life in you.” (John 6:53 NIV)
Let me tell you that first of all, Jesus is not talking about some bread and some wine, or “communion” as we commonly misunderstand it. He is talking about a whole different level of communion – a real communion – with him. To think he is talking about wafers and wine actually becoming his flesh and blood is only a sad distraction that only serves to rob Jesus words of their real power.
Jesus uses this hyperbolic language to powerfully drive home a point. One of the most important points that we need to hear is in this statement. Jesus intent is to shock his Jewish listeners – with this talk of eating flesh and drinking blood – into really paying attention… into adopting a whole new mindset and worldview… or not.
As it was, most who had been following Jesus stopped following Jesus after this teaching. It was hard to “swallow”. He explains later that these words are spirit and they are life.
Here is a link to a really good and very insightful presentation of what it means to eat his flesh and drink his blood: http://loveintruth.com/amf-docs/flesh1.htm
In the above article (the link) he says at one point: “Jesus is teaching us that we need to depend on Him utterly, moment by moment, in order to survive.”
Just as Jesus taught in John 15 that He is the vine and we are the branches. He supplies our life, moment by moment dependence and trust. It isn’t like gas in a car, as if we just stop in every once in a while to get refueled, but a plant. We all know the moment you sever a branch it is dead. It may look alive for a while – like a rose in a vase, or a christmas tree – but it is dead. It is cut off from it’s source of life. So, two things are important:
- To be connected to our source of life – Jesus.
- To stay connected to our source of life – Jesus.
What connects us to the vine – to Jesus – our source of life? What can we do to stay connected? Leave a comment below!
- The Bread of Life and The Words of Eternal Life (tvaraj2inspirations.wordpress.com)
- Remain Faithful to the Magisterium (stannecenter.wordpress.com)
- “He who eats this bread will live forever” (worryisuseless.wordpress.com)
- Sharing Sunday: Flesh eaters and blood drinkers (refusingtotiptoe.com)
- 40 Reasons Why It’s Cool to be Catholic #2 The Eucharist (deaconcast.com)
- Whoever “eats” His flesh… (catholicjournaling.wordpress.com)
- Friday (April 27): “Whoever eats my Flesh and drinks my Blood has eternal life.” (shechina.wordpress.com)
- Bread… (njaukinyanjui.wordpress.com)
- The Sarcasm of Jesus (yahwehssong.com)